Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Reflections of HOPE- The start of a healthy journey

When you are suffering from, a death, a diagnosis, a loss of job, low self esteem or weight problems, whatever ails you, your journey must be healthy.  For me, I lost my daughter.  After learning that we would not be bringing her home from the hospital, I remember a nurse.  This nurse knelt down beside my bedside and just listened to me and hugged me.  She had no answers, but she had empathy, compassion, and was so comforting.  I never remembered her name, or her face.  It was a big blur. 

I remember another woman, who was a social worker.  She stood at the door of the room, and wouldn't get close to me.  I always felt she thought she would catch my disease of infant loss.  She just stared at me.  Never answered my questions, never gave me any support what so ever.  She had long brown hair and was medium built.  I always thought she sucked at her job.   

Both of these woman drived me to push out the negative and bring on positive.  Three years later, I was in the same hospital giving birth to my rainbow, Phoebe.  I was full of angst, hope, nerves.... A roller coaster of emotions ran thru me.  Then, a nurse came into my room and asked if it were ok to have another nurse, Amy, come in to say hello.  Apparently, this was the nurse that comforted me three years prior.  

When Amy walked in, her face, name, even the feelings I had, all came flooding back to the surface.  What are the chances of having someone who understood me, remembered me, and never once judged me.  Today, Amy is a dear friend.  I cherish our friendship and I will always be thankful for her putting me on that positive journey.  

Being a life/grief coach, I will always remember these two women.  One for the lack of empathy, and the other full of compassion.  My goal is to make sure my clients are on the healthy path.  It doesn't matter if they remember my name, what matters is that my words and actions only affected them in a positive way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment